Contract Negotiator for Creatives
Sign only when it’s right.
A contract is right when your interests are respected, your rights are protected, and your deal is the best it can be.
Judith Karfiol negotiates contracts for creative people, helping them to formulate and achieve their professional goals through their contractual relationships.
Judy drafts contracts with an experienced understanding of both her client’s wishes and industry norms, believing that clients are best served when they are knowledgeable about the contracts which bind them to others legally.
There is no “one size fits all,” for whether the client is an individual or a large company, there are always circumstances which require special attention.
Judy seeks to ensure that her client is confident that her/his/its interests are thoroughly addressed and protected. The aim is to ensure that a contract made today is one which holds up years into the future.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Over the years my practice has expanded to include a diverse clientele working in a wide variety of traditional and new media, and I have the good fortune to work with individuals and companies at the top of their fields as well as newcomers with exciting futures.
I take pride in serving my clients with individual attention as I advocate for them, and I am enriched by their creativity and dedication to their work.
CONTRACTS IN THE FIELDS OF:
SERVICES INCLUDE THE AREAS OF:
• Executive and Artist Employment
• Production Legal
• Performer/On-Camera Talent
• Production companies
• Social Media Influencers
CLIENTS WORKING IN:
• Animated feature films
• Animated seriesDocumentary feature films
• Documentary series
• Scripted feature films
• Scripted television and digital media
• Non-scripted television and digital media
• Variety programs for television and digital media
ADVISING CLIENTS REGARDING:
• Agency and management contracts
• Animation and executive employment
• Chain of Title matters including assignment of rights
• Collaboration and co-production agreements
• Copyright issues including registration
• Literary publishing (fiction and non-fiction)
• Life story rights
• Rights deals with respect to literary works (books, magazine articles, blogs) as well as original screenplays, teleplays, and series concepts
• Union/Guild matters